Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New XP Install - missing drivers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

camster39

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
US
I just did a fresh install of Win XP on my Dell Dimension 8300 after a defective hard drive was discovered. I removed the defective drive and kept the good one (it was a Raid 0 setup with 2 drives).

I ran through the XP setup without a problem --- after the install however, I am not able to connect to the internet through broadband, use my modem, or get any sound from my speakers. I went into device manager and there are about 10 devices with a ? next to them in yellow -- they include, Ethernet controller, Multimedia audio controller, PCI Modem, SM Bus controller, Unversal Serial Bus, Video Controller....

I did a right-click on a few of these items and the message is "drivers for this device is not installed. To reinstall click reinstall driver". I tried that with my XP CD in the drive and nothing was found. Asked if I want to connect to the internet to search but I can't do that without internet access.

I've installed XP on a bunch of different machines over the past year or so and I've never had this problem. I would always just run XP setup and then I was good to go -- no additional configuration besides for Windows Update & some router tweaks.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing here? Is my PC more damaged than just the 1 hard drive?

Thank you.

You need the drivers for your Dimension 8300. You should have a disk with these provided with your computer when it was purchased. If not you will need to go to the Dell site and download nad install them.

xit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back