Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New word "Yoinking"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosieb

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2002
GB
I've just been introduced to a new concept by my staff/colleagues "yoinking", broadly speaking "acquiring by not totally officially authorised means, but for work-related purposes" eg, the removal from stock of 4 PCs to create a test network.

I discovered this term when one of the PC's was "re-yoinked" for another purpose, causing much aggro.

Anyone else encountered this term or something similar?

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

I haven't heard that one, rosieb, but I was quite amused that the word "burble", which I'd always taken to simply mean chatter/babble (or indeed "a rapid, excited flow of speech") , is a bona fide fluid dynamics term:

"A separation in the boundary layer of fluid about a moving streamlined body, such as the wing of an airplane, causing a breakdown in the smooth flow of fluid and resulting in turbulence."

My fluid dynamics lecturer at university never mentioned that one, I'm considering writing a complaint letter!

I'm not sure if this is the source of the term, but I became familiar with 'Yoink' thanks to The Simpsons.

Any time a character snatches something and runs off with it, they always say 'Yoink!' right as they grab the item.

If that is the source, I think your coworkers added the "...but for work-related purposes..." to soften the term.

Here's a list of yoinks from the Simpsons.

[tt]-John[/tt]

Oops, looks like it's me, must remember to watch TV occasionally.

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

In the armed forces it was common practice to 'borrow' kit to make up deficiencies (usually resulting from someone else having 'borrowed' the item you are trying to make up).

If you could 'borrow' something from another unit so much the better.

I speak of many years ago - I'm sure this is no longer sanctioned.

Not a new word, we (in Yorkshire) have used this word for years to mean pulling somthing violently.
as in as in 'The fall Yoinked his arm out of its socket' ouch.

Steve
Be excellent to each other and Party on!

True enough, Steve, I remember using the expression as a kid in God's County. That Middle English is obviously making a comeback!

North West England upbringing - was used to denote the taking of something in a comedy fashion (as opposed to violently) - usually the person who was doing the taking would actually say "Yoink" as they were doing it !

Rgds, Geoff

"Having been erased. the document thjat you are seeking. Must now be retyped"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back