Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New with VOIP, need help with line noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Internexus

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2004
US
Hey everyone, I am 100% new with VOIP systems and phone servers etc, we have a system that was already implemented before I took on this job (which is my 1st IT job so im really new with some of these things)

I am getting some complaints about noise on our lines at times and I have a lineman's headset in my possession. How do I go about discovering which lines are causing the noise. (tap into trunk lines via rack on the wall Im assuming??) and if I do find a line with noise on it is there a way for me to solve this? We are running the altigen hardware/software if that helps any. Thanks guys!
-sean

Do you have digital trunks (i.e. T-1s or ISDN) or do you have analog trunks (i.e. FXO)? How are they coming into your VoIp infrastructure?

It is what it is!!

Currently they are analog and we are going to be moving to Digital T1 here soon. They are coming in from outside the buidling (where I don't know) I can just see the lines coming into the room where the server is.

Is it terminated in a gateway? A router? A line card in your phone system?

It is what it is!!

I know that the data goes through our router... So im gonna guess thats where its terminated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back