Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New wiring setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimbeek

Programmer
Nov 30, 2009
NL
Hi,

This has been asked and answered before. But just to make sure I want to go over own situation. After the cables are installed, I don't plan on taking them out to "fix" any problems. So I want to get it right on the first try :)

Here goes:

It's an office setup.
We have 8 pc's (incl. server)
2 printers
4 NAS drives
laptop (wireless or wired)

We have a Cisco sa540 router with automatic fallback from a cable line to a DSL line.

We want to connect that to our Cisco sg300-28 Switch.

We want to connect the switch to a patch panel.

From patch panels wires to the wall outlets.

From the wall outlets to the PC's/server/printers.

The NAS drivers will most likely have a direct connection to the switch.

So we end up with:
|
|
Router/modem
|
|
Switch
|----------- NAS drives
|
Patch panel
|
------------|------------
| | | |
PCs Printers Server PCs

All cables a straight Cat6, so "normal" patch cables.
This should do the trick.
If you have any suggestions, tip or tricks to do it different/better don't hesitate to tell so :)

Now for my questions:
1) What shielding should I use?
2) Do I use flexible Cat6 cable or the stiffer version?
3) Can I create the cable myself?
4) Should I buy pre-made cable?
5) Should I connect using RJ-45 plugs or with a LSA+ strips?
6) Which brand of cables would you suggest?
7) Which type of wall outlets should I use?
8) Which brand of wall outlets would you suggest?
9) If I have "old" hardware, could there be a problem connecting this? Like a NAS or a printer or even a laptop? Or is Cat6 ALWAYS backwards compatible, as long as I use a straight cable and connect the devices by using the switch?

Last but not least, do you have any suggestion on what I need to look out for when installing the cables and the wall outlets? Or any suggestions in general about setting up a network like this?

Thanks in advance!

I'll let the others get into the networking part of the solution you have laid out. I'll try to help you with your cabling. The suggestions I make will not be your least expensive method. But remember, you get what you pay for. Also it sounds like you want to do this and not have to continually come back fixing problems. Neither do I.

If you are going with a Cat 6 solution then everything you use should be Cat 6. Patch panels, cables, cabling, jacks. Everything.

1. It looks like you need to install around 14 cables. So go with a 24 port Cat 6 rated patch panel. This leaves you a little room for growth.
2. Use factory made cables. I can sell you some cheaper than the labor you will have in them making them and Mine work... Oh and their certified..
3. The parts list you will get from everyone here will very. It's a Ford vs. Chevy thing. It's true we all can probably tell you what not to use and all be in agreement. So just stick with good stuff (Leviton, Orbtronics, Pass and Seymour (my personal favorite) are the first few that come to mind.

4. For cable its about the same as parts. Although I like Berk-Tek. Unless your running this in something that has tons of magnetic interference or a large amount of power, don't use shielded cable. You may be able to use PVC Jacketed cable. Be sure before you order or pull.
5. Yes terminate all your cables on patch panels. Then use factory made patch cables between your switch and your patch panel. Also use these to your devices..

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Hi mikeydidit,

Thank you for your reply. I will take it into account before I order anything. Hopefully more people will responds before I place my order in about 2 weeks from now.

Most likely your old hardware is not CAT6 rated, so you can't use it in your installation. As Mikeydidit mentioned, all components in the Ethernet transmission path have to be the same Category rating, or it does not meet the TIA standards. Make sure the patch cords you use are CAT6 certified. Most are stranded wire so they will be flexible. Category rated hardware is NOT backwards compatible. Remember all cable hardware in the path has to be the same Category rating. You can't mix and match. The cable used for cable runs should always be solid gauge wire. Follow proper installation techniques and NEC article 800.

....JIM....

Hi JIM,

So if my printer only support 10Mbit/s - 100 Mbit/s, because it has an "old" network card (NIC), I can NOT connect it using a Cat6 cable? Why won't/can't the Cat6 cable perform on a slower speed if my switch support 10/100/1000Mbit/s speeds on every interface?

No, sorry, I was not referring to devices. NICs would be considered devices, either separate or installed. The same goes for print servers or fax servers; switches, routers, etc. I am referring to the physical layer 1 and the parts of the transmission channel which consists of jacks, cable, patch panels, patch cords, connecting blocks, cross-connect systems, etc. Computers, NICs, print servers, fax servers, and similar devices are NOT part of the transmission path. Your devices are compatible, and should work just fine on the new CAT6 transmission path.

Hope that clarifies the differences!

....JIM....

Ahhh ok, you got me worried there.

So I just need to make sure everything is Cat6, so I can use the Cat6 speed IF a device like a printer of PC supports that speed. If not it will just use a lower speed. So everything, from cable to jacks, panels, etc between the devices (printer, pc, NAS, etc..) needs to be Cat6 certified.

Cheers.

Cat.6 is a poor choice. Professionals suggest the following BoM (based on limited understand of project, as described);
---------------------------
wall mount eia/tia 19"x5Ru
~4x 300M Cat.5 solid (for sync. quad pulls)
fishtape
electrical tape
leader line, x-meters
high quality PD tool
ladder, , x-meters, step style
utility knife (w/extra blades)
fishing luer
screwdrivers, set, assorted
Xx jack, rj45(8p8c)
xX face plate, X-port(s)
xX surface mount enclose, x-ports
xX prints
Fluke OMNIscanner
xX patch cable, cat5, straight-thru, X-meters

I too question your choice to use Cat 6 cable.

Cat 5 cable (not produced since 2001)
10 Meg at 100 meters
100 Meg at 100 meters
1 Gig at 100 meters

Cat 5e cable
10 Meg at 100 meters
100 Meg at 100 meters
1 Gig at 100 meters

Cat 6 cable
10 Meg at 100 meters
100 Meg at 100 meters
1 Gig at 100 meters
10 Gig at 55 meters

Cat 6A cable
10 Meg at 100 meters
100 Meg at 100 meters
1 Gig at 100 meters
10 Gig at 100 meters

So unless you need to use 10 Gig for very short distances, I do not see Cat 6 as a compelling choice. Costs of the Cat 6 gear, labor, and certification over the Cat 5e gear, labor, and certification will still be substantial. (Someday that will calm down)
I would ether choose Cat 6A or Cat 5e myself.

The faster you hope your network to go, the more you want professionally terminated cables.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Also, generally speaking, the professionals recommend NOT using ANY structured cabling systems to propagate 10GBase-;"cr","cu" or "t".

Hi,

And thank you for your replies.

I still have to look into costs, but I doubt that will be a problem. By saying I would use Cat6, I see I caused some confusion. I'd go for Cat6A, just like you would go for Cat 5e, instead of Cat5. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Other then that, the following should work right?
So I just need to make sure everything is Cat6A, so I can use the Cat6A speed IF a device like a printer of PC supports that speed. If not it will just use a lower speed. So everything, from cable to jacks, panels, etc between the devices (printer, pc, NAS, etc..) needs to be Cat6A certified and it all should work. Correct?

Cat6, 6x has come a long way in the past 7 years or so, however, I'd stand firm- stay away from it.

Cat5 (5e) is better. :)

Cat6, 6x has come a long way in the past 7 years or so, however, I'd stand firm- stay away from it.

Could you explain why? Apart from any cost difference compared to Cat5, 5x what's are major reasons not to go for Cat6, 6x?

Could you explain why?"

Odds.

In many cases every other upgrade in tech will be the one that is widely deployed. Cat3, cat5, cat7? W98, XP, W7. Mono, Stereo, 5.1. Just because they build it that does not require you to buy it.

Does anyone remember cat 2 or cat4? Does anyone want to wish W2K or Vista on anyone? Binarial or quad, yeah those were barnburners...

Besides jimbopalmer nailed it !

Odds"?

There must be a better reason.

"Besides jimbopalmer nailed it !"

I get the point of not going for Cat6, but why not go for Cat6A then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back