Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new window opens behind existing window

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjbennett

MIS
Feb 8, 2005
US
OK, I've looked at all the forums I can find. Only to see that everybody with WINDOW 7 has this problem and Microsoft won't give a solution!!!! Has anyone found a solution to this annoying problem? Say your working in MS Access and click on a hyperlink that is protected. The window that pops up to ask for you to open in "Read Only" or enter a password to open will open BEHIND the access database window that you have open. If you don't know any better you just sit there watching the circle (or hour glass) go around and around. BUT, it you Alt/TAB you see that this window has in fact popped up waiting for your answer. VERY, VERY frustrating. Also, I've seen others, print to a PDF file and the screen that comes up to ask where to save the file to will pop up BEHIND the current window.

Any answers????

Thanks.

Really, no one else has seen, heard or had this problem?

I have no solution, but I can confirm that this happens to me all the time with Acrobat standard when creating PDFs in Windows 7. Never happens in XP or Server 2003.

Here are two options to deal with the "hidden" pop up window. One is to close it with Alt+F4. Another (found at is to move the window via the keyboard with Alt+Space, then M, then Arrow key, and then move your mouse. However, if the main window is maximized, moving the hidden popup probably won't be of much use.

It happens to me from time to time. I have no idea why. I suspect neither do Microsoft. When it does I ususally go through the following sequence. "Whats going on?" "Has my PC crashed?" followed by "Oh FFS it's THAT problem again!"

I often find the window can be accesses via the taskbar - & failing that by cycling through windows with the windows key + tab key.

When I suspect something like this (when I insert a flash card, etc. - it won't show on the screen that I am using), I mouse to the lower right corner to the little rectangle that brings up the Desktop. I can then quickly see if there is a "pop-under".

OK, so there is no solution to the problem. The user just has to assume something is somewhere, because they can't do anything, and poke around and find it. Sounds like Microsoft is right on top of things!! I don't have a problem with that but I have numerous users who don't have a clue.

Thanks for the reply's.

I believe the problem is with Win-7 itself. This opening behind happens with the programs I have written for XP but are being used with Win-7. I have gone back into the program code and added a BringWindowToTop() instruction after opening the main window and it doesn't help. If the operator will bring the desktop up (I don't recall the keystrokes) before running the program all will be ok but, you have to remember to do this.

David.

Not to be accusing you of anything but I suspect you may be calling BringWindowToTop() wrong or in the wrong place. I use it for an app written with VFP and it works flawlessly.
Are you waiting until the form/window has been completely drawn and 'active' before calling it?

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back