Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Win2K Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gebel

MIS
Jun 13, 2001
US
Hi. I am very green to Windows 2000 Server. I just got my server and set up active directory. Previously we used a workgroup and I figured with the server I should set up active directory and create a domain. Everything went well while setting up the server. Now I am at the PC with Win2K and changing to a domain. When I join the domain using my user logon created on the Win2K server, I don't get all my current settings I had on my Win2K workstation. I know it is because my logon is different but is there anything I can do so I don't create a new user on my workstation? Before I used my name as my workstation logon and now it is like an e-mail address. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

You are stuck with setting up a new user profile under your new domain user identity.

But, you can co to My Comupter\Properties\User Profiles and select your old user profile, then "Copy To" browse to the path of your new user profile (C:\documents and Settins\logonID) and save.

This will effectively "import" your old profile over the new vanilla profile of the domain userid. Once all is checked out and you are happy thet old profile can be deleted (assuming it will no longer be used)

Hope it helps
-Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back