Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New website caused NetBIOS name conflict??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darts

Technical User
Apr 8, 2002
CA
Background: I have enabled IIS 5.0 services on an existing Win2K Advanced server. I created and configured a website using the new website wizard giving it a name and separate ip address along the way. The server has 2 NICs and tcp/ip is the only transport protocol. IP Properties of NIC #1 has the static address of the server. IP properties of NIC #2 has the static ip address of the web root - note this previously dormant NIC was enabled during the website setup process.

I can successfully ping, resolve and tracert the server and website (internal only) by name and ip address from anywhere on our network with no problems. The web-based application also works fine BUT since setting this up I've been seeing event log error 4319 messages from NetBT to the effect that a duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network (as reported by one of our DNS/WINS servers - these services are not enabled on my server). nbtstat -n shows, amongst other things, the following lines for each adapter in the server:

SERVERNAME <03> UNIQUE Registered
SERVERNAME$ <03> UNIQUE Registered

What have I missed/done wrong and how can it be fixed?

Cheers!

[morning]

Darts

&quot;Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday&quot; -- Dale Carnegie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back