Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New virtual directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

teqmem

Programmer
Nov 26, 2004
US
Hello,

I'm totally green on SharePoint administration so pardon my question.

I inherited a Windows 2003 with IIS extended with SharePoint 2.0. I want to add a new virtual directory to the 'Default Web Site'. I had configured a new virtual directory the same way (right-click / New / Virtual directory) as I would if didn't have IIS but now how do I tell SharePoint to allow access to this new directory. I added this virtual directory to "Define managed paths" but I still can't access it from another machine. The default SharePoint portal works when I just connect to the root path.

Thanks.

I use WSS 3 and have never seen 2, but this might help.

In WSS 3.0 I would get SharePoint to do the work in IIS on my behalf. That is I would create new Web Application and/or Managed Path in WSS and let it update IIS.

If you want to try that route, either remove the vx dir you created (assuming you don't need the content) or use a different path.

Note that WSS 3 uses the term Web Application to avoid the term 'virtual' because that can be confused with server virtualisation these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back