Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Version Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkDraa

MIS
Aug 10, 2001
US
I'm currently using Approach v9.1.9810.1400. I'm interested in upgrading to the current version, but have a couple of questions for anyone who might know.....

1. Does the new version offer the ability to have a macro open a blank email (in Outlook) and populate the "TO:" address with an email address from the database record? This could be a major reason to sell the upgrade to my budget committee.

2. Can the new version still continue to the hundreds of macros in my APRs without converting them to script? Can I still use the macro language and avoid learning script?

3. Will the new version still run acceptably on C-566 Win98 machines (64 - 128MB of ram)? We have about 15 of these and won't be replacing them in this budget cycle.

Thanks!!

Mark

>>1. Does the new version offer the ability to have a macro open a blank email (in Outlook) and populate the "TO:" address

All versions have that ability. You use the macro OPEN command and put mailto:<<emailfieldname>> in the &quot;file to open&quot; space.

>>2. Can the new version still continue to the hundreds of macros in my APRs without converting them to script? Can I still use the macro language and avoid learning script?

The macro language and capabilities are identical in all 9.x versions of Approach from 9.0 thru 9.7

>>3. Will the new version still run acceptably on C-566 Win98 machines (64 - 128MB of ram)?

Yep!

Sue Sloan
XpertSS.com

Thanks, Sue. I swear I remember there being an issue with the email thing, but I tried it and it does indeed work. I guess the issue might have been the ability to push the subject line or message body.

Have a good day!

Mark

The macro Open command wil fail (due to a bug) if there's a space in the filename. This won't normally be the case with an e-mail address.

If you'd like to add the subject and body it can be done simply with LotusScript. If you register (free) at and login you can access the Approach - FAQ's - Tips & Techniques folder. See the item, Sending e-mail from Approach with Microsoft Outlook Express. It applies equally to Outlook.

If you need more sophisticated capabilities such as integrating Outlook Contacts with an Approach database or merely need to overcome the limitations of Mailto, have a look at OLServices. You can download a trial copy including a sample Approach app from my web site.

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back