Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New VB.NET app works on my m/c but nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepruce

Programmer
Dec 18, 2001
GB
Hi
We are a small company with a dedicated SQL server and an Intranet server (and others) and I develop stuff directly on the Intranet server (rightly or wrongly), and have created our Intranet in ASP/DHTML/Javascript (just giving background).
I'm a newbie to VB.NET/SQL and have just finished (I hope) my first App. It works fine on my machine but nowhere else. I've installed the DOTNETFX.exe everywhere I want it to run, but keep getting
"The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the
security policy........." etc etc
"Requets for the permission of type
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientPermission, System.Data,......" etc etc.
Reaearching this on the web comes up with quite a few hits, but I have yet to find an answer in words of one syllable (two at the most!) that I can understand.
Can anyone please help with a " Do This on this machine, Do That on that machine" type of answer.
(I had an answer on another forum saying that I should change the username in the machine.config file (presumably on the Intranet server) from 'machine' to 'system' which I did, made no difference!)
Thanks
Dave

Could it be something to do with the other computers not having the CLR libraries installed? You can package them up and have the user install them i think.

Dunno.......
I'll try and see (tomorrow now - I started early today!!)
Cheers
Dave

It works now. On the Intrtanet server, make the change as stated previously.
On the local machine,
run .NET Configuration Wizard
Adjust .NET Security
Change Local Intranet to Full Trust
All OK now

Hope this helps someone else!
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back