Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Users Not Showing Up in Outlook GAL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rik7

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2009
US
Problem - New users created in AD not showing up in Outlook GAL. They do show up in OWA GAL. From the research I've done, that points to an OAB problem.

We recently upgraded from 2003 to 2010. Basically followed the guide found here -
Everything is working great. I've left the 2003 server running for the past two months just to be safe.

I've moved the Default Offline Address Book generation from the 2003 server to the 2010 server. In the Properties of the Default OAB I've set it to Web-based distribution. It says "Distribute the OAB from the following virtual directories - OAB Default Website and our 2010 server name.
The problem only occurs when I shut the 2003 server down. If it's up and running together with the 2010 server, new users show up in GAL in Outlook. If I boot the 2003 server back up and reboot the 2010 server, everything works fine.
When it's not working and the 2003 server is offline, I see these two events in the 2010 event viewer every morning when the OAB tries to rebuild/replicate -

9331 - OABGen encountered error 80004005 (internal ID 50101f1) accessing the public folder database while generating the offline address list for address list '/'.
- \Default Offline Address List

and

9335 - OABGen encountered error 80004005 while cleaning the offline address list public folders under /o=First Organization/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Address List. Please make sure the public folder database is mounted and replicas exist of the offline address list folders. No offline address lists have been generated. Please check the event log for more information.
- \Default Offline Address List

Anybody have any ideas what I might have missed in the migration that would be causing this?

Thanks,

Is this Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2010? 2010 will use EWS for the OAB where 2003 will use PFs. In which case it could be replication, otherwise it could be the autodiscovery.

Wasn't reading it properly...
This looks like a PF replication issue from 2003 to 2010.

I second that: public folder replication. When you open the Exchange System Manager on the old 2003 server and go into the Public Folder -> Instances folder, is it empty, or do you see stuff in there? Sounds like you never finished PF replication. Did you do that "Move all replicas" step?

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Thanks for the replies.

We basically stopped using Public Folders on the 2003 server a few years ago and used Sharepoint instead so I skipped the step about public folders because I didn't think it was necessary since we weren't using them.

On the 2003 server, yes indeed...there is stuff in the Public Folder -> Instances folder.

So I guess the answer is that even though we are not really using them, I must run the 2 scripts from that section (page 29)of the guide? Or is there some other way I should be doing this?

Thanks again for the replies.

You are going to need it right-click the Public Folders folder in the Exchange 2003 System Manager and choose "Move All Replicas". That assumes you still have your routing group connector between the two servers, and that your Default SMTP virtual server on the old server isn't configured with a smarthost.

Then you should wait 4-12 hours, and then when the Instances folder is empty, you know you've completed the process.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Thanks ShackDaddy.

When I select "Move All Replicas", a window pops up that says "Select the server to which you want to move..." with a drop down box. My 2010 server name is not in the drop down. Only available option is "Public Folder Database".

Does that seem normal?

Nevermind...
I saw on the 2010 server Organization Configuration -> Mailbox -> Database Management that there was an entry named "Public Folder Database" so I assumed this is what the dropdown box was referring to and went ahead and moved it.
I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Looks like that fixed the problem.

Thank you both for the help!

58Sniper...
Just did. I was unaware of the purple star thing.
Recognizing your name from help in the past, I went back and purple starred some of your replies (as well as others) on previous threads.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back