Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Users Not Showing in VSS Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstersMike

Programmer
Feb 5, 2002
US
For some reason, when I add a new user via the VSS Admin, they do not show up in the list. I also get an error which reads "File not found: D/program files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Projects/users"

However, when I explore the directory structure the users folder is there, but there is no SS.INI file in it. Any suggestions???????

Make sure the correct project is loaded because the users may be created within a different project.

You need to make sure that the users.txt file exists in the root of the project that you are using. It should contain 1 line of text for all your users.

Admin = users\admin\ss.ini
Guest = users\guest\ss.ini
JoeBloggs = users\joebloggs\ss.ini

Under the root you will have the users directory and under that 1 entry for each person as listed in the users.txt file.

Each user directory will have 1 or more files with the ss.ini being the main one.

The contents for a new user would be as below:

; ss.ini
;
; This file contains all the variables that "customize" SourceSafe to your
; particular needs. The ss.ini variables are documented in the SourceSafe
; User's Manual. Only a few of them are placed in this file by default.

; C programmers should remove the semicolon from the following line, to
; un-comment it. Other programmers REPLACE the line with different masks.
; Relevant_Masks = *.c, *.h, *., *.asm

; The following line prevents you from being asked for a checkout comment.
Checkout_Comment = -

; The following lines force SourceSafe not to execute certain file types.
.reg (Win) = notepad.exe
.vbp (Win) = notepad.exe
.vcp (Win) = notepad.exe
.mak (Win) = notepad.exe
.bat (Win) = notepad.exe

; Your current SourceSafe project.
Project = $/

Mdav,

Thanks for the input. Everything is exactly as you said it should be. The users still do not show up in the users list and I still get the same errors when attempting to create a new user.

I called Microsoft and they recommend a re-install on the development server. I hope that will solve the problem as I'm head man for this in my department and I want to get the ball rolling!

Your best bet is to look in the templates folder and make a copy of it to the user directory that is having the problem. Then rename it to ss.ini.

If for some reason you don't have a templates folder, copy the ss.ini file from someone else's directory and rename it template.ini. Then go to the bottom of it and remove all of the "per user" settings.

Good luck!

Brett Keown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back