Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New User w/ Exchange Mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zracer03

MIS
Jul 12, 2004
US
I have a help desk user that I need to be able to create new accounts in Active Directory. He is currently an Account Operator and was only able to view accounts, change passwords etc, which was fine. He was not able to copy or create new accounts. I added him under delegate control to be able to manage all aspects of accounts, so now he can create, delete, copy etc.. However when create a new user, he needs to be able to create with an Exchange box. I installed the Exchange plug in and Exchange tools on his PC, so now when he creates a user, it prompts him to create a mailbox. The Alias and Server show up, but mailbox store is blank, and the drop down is blank, so it wont let him go any farther with the user. Now I dont want to add this guy to domain admins or exchange admins, but I do need him to be able to do this. What other permission am I missing? thanks

He has to be an Exchange admin

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

OK, short of sticking him in Domain Admins, what group should I put him in? The only other group the rest of my network guys have is domain admins, and they can create mailboxes fine, I dont want this user to have the full ability of a domain admin. thanks

Ok, you can create a group, put him in it, then delegate control in the Exchange SM to that group to Exchange Admin and I believe he should be able to do what he needs to do...if not, you'll have to delegate him as full exchange. Try the other one first though.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back