Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New user question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCDreamer

Technical User
Jul 25, 2013
US
I am new to this forum, new to Attachmate, and not even sure I am in the correct forum. My (somewhat limited) experience with Excel VBA led someone in our company to approach me about writing some Excel macros which can read and write into Attachmate EXTRA! Extreme. Can someone advise on any good books that may be available which could provide me with some tutorials necessary for interfacing with the “EXTRA.System” object from Excel? Any additional tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi

Just as a matter of course, I'd do ALL the coding in Excel VBA!!!

Is this a one time task or will you be scraping & populating LOTS of different screens? I'd guess the latter. I ask that because that is the situation I was in. So I devoted TIME & EFFORT to design a system to make 1) definning new screens qiucker and 2) make most scraping tasks quick. For me the requests were more like, "can you get me data from this screen(s) from this given list." I did almost no updating.

My design includes a table for defining a screen and maybe a dozen functions used for extracting bits of data and sheets each related to screens where ALL the data from each screen can be dumped.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Thanks Skip,

Yes, I will be doing the coding in Excel VBA. My situation is similar to yours. “Can you extract this and that and paste this”

I know what you’re saying by devoting time and effort. I’ve taught myself VBA by a lot of testing, searching, and asking questions. However, the Dummies book and Walkenback’s Power Programming book have been valuable resources and help expedite the learning process. Do you have a particular location or a book which provided you with the most help as google will sometimes incorrectly translate my search parameters into something completely different.

Regarding Attachmate, it’s difficult to ask the simple questions as I hate to bother others unless I am really stumped.
Does the VBA code need to be placed on a worksheet or in the workbook?
What is the sendkey syntax for multiple keys (Shift + F9).
Shortcuts for pasting/extracting values to/from screen locations.

Thanks again for your response.

Do you have a particular location or a book which provided you with the most help as google will sometimes incorrectly translate my search parameters into something completely different.

Location: Tek-Tips by far! I've been both a contributor and a learner since 2001.

Book: I like several of John Walkenbach's. Excel VBA Help, Extra Basic Help

I also had the good fortune to happen upon an Excel VBA guru where I worked, some 20 years ago. I was able to pick his brain as I asked questions regarding a project I was working on.

Does the VBA code need to be placed on a worksheet or in the workbook?

I have a workbook named Attachmate Master.xlsm it has a Module devoted to Attachmate data procedures.
I have a sheet structured for each screen,
I have a sheet that contains a table that describes the layout of each screen
I have a sheet for input data.
I heavily rely on Named Ranges in just about any range data I use in Excel. Lately more dependent on Structured Tables.

What is the sendkey syntax for multiple keys (Shift + F9).

ScreenObject.SendKeys ("<pf21>")

Shortcuts for pasting/extracting values to/from screen locations.

I don't use the paste Method. Rather the PutString Method or just assign a string to an Area Object.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back