Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New User AD setup. Who and How. Whats your process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazz

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
GB
Hi All,

I work within a company which has around 4k employees and one major headache I always seem to get is caused by user admin! It should be so simple in my mind but isnt! This is my current process.

New starters - The new starters manager fills in an online form which raises a call in our call logging system. The form asks for a user a to copy and what applications they will need. A technician then does this.

Leavers - HR send us a list of names of people who have left and the manager fills in an online form to notify us. The form also includes whether then need to retain there voip extension no.

Movers. This cant be done by the technician who looks after user admin as they dont have permissions. SO if one user moves to another team or gets a promotion, a domain admin has to do the work. Same for group emails or mailbox permissions in exchange.

We dont get to here about new starters until the day they startn (coz the managers forget!) they dont bother telling us about leavers so we have run out of voip extension numbers and the no permissions thing is crazy!

How do you do it? Any solutions out there that can help overcome this? I am sure that with correctly assigned permissions in AD that the technicain doin the user admin could move folders and profiles and set permissions on exchange objects? Our'AD' expert says it cant be done!

Thanks for any help!

Wazz

Yes that could be done with the appropriate permissions on the file servers where those folders/profiles are stored and with the necessary exchange delegation.

Thanks for the info. I am write in saying that it is only a case of a making a group, giving full control permissions to that group for the folder locations and then adding users to the group... arent I?

Without knowing the specifics of your file shares sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back