Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New (used) Athlon Barton 3200 (200 FSB) problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

realtree

Technical User
Aug 5, 2003
CA
I have an MSI K7N2 Delta-L motharboard currently running 2600. Everywhere I look (forums, MSI site), this CPU (DKV4E) should work fine. When I start it, I get no POST, no beeps, nothing. I trust well that the CPU is not DOA.

Is anybody aware of problems with this particular board & CPU combo?

Think it's possible my RAM doesn't get along? it is DDR400. I only have one slice at the moment tho - no dual channel anymore since my other one bit it. Got the latest BIOS.

Any suggestions/troubleshooting process?

I'm still going to test a bit more. I'm not satisfied; I don't want to take 'no way' for an answer. Not so quick anyway.

I hope I didn't do something to sabotage the CPU. I tried to be as careful as possible, but I was running on 2 hours of sleep and slipped a little here and there.

Have you tried refitting the 2600 and see if it will post

Have you verified you put the CPU in correctly and didn't bend any pins, I did that once.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Clear CMOS - some motherboards do not like it when there is a CPU change...

also check that the HS-FAN is plugged in correctly, as most mobo's are set not to power up the CPU, when there is not signal on the fan header...

also, you can take out the RAM to see if it is RAM related, it should beep at least 3 times long and 3 times short (Ami) or a continuous long beep (Award)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I tried taking the RAM out, still nothing. I tried safe mode (100MHz) jumper. I tried rolling back the BIOS one version and even back to the first version with 3200 support. I cleared the CMOS every time. I even tried setting the FSB to 200, then swapping in the new CPU. All nothing. I think maybe my particular board revision just doesn't cut it for 200 FSB; either that or a factory defect. I have a brand new mid-high quality PSU, so I doubt it's that.

I think I'm done with this attempted upgrade. Maybe all those CPUs I bought and returned on eBay were actually non-DOA, even tho they had bent pins and missing pads. This one's mint.

I have an old board where it is supposed to work with a 2.8ghz Celeron, but it won't post with it either, the board will post with an old P4 (1.7ghz) @ 2.1ghz though...

as to the CPU's, well maybe they where all DOA or they where all fakes... there was a time that rebadged GEODE CPU where being sold as Athlon XP's, mayhap you have gotten a hold of a couple there...

about the GEODE CPU:
about the FAKES:
Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Ahhh socket A.... memories.....
Over the several years of building with Duron/Atlon and Sempron socket A's (462) I had many a processor damaged mainly by overheating (as you know, very easily done with such a small core and the ability to fit the heatsink the wrong way around) this damage would create a processor that would only run at a reduced front side bus and thus effectively underclocking the processor.
The XP3200+ was a particularly difficult processor to keep cool and had to be used in conjunction with a very good copper based heatsink cooler if acceptable temperatures were to be maintained.
Slight overheating or chipping of the core would often result in the inability to run at full 200(400fsb)and reducing it effectively to a barton XP2500+ running 166 (333fsb)

Another thing to remember is that early Nforce2 motherboards did struggle with 400fsb and were very picky on the memory being used. Certainly worth swapping out and trying another make.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back