Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Zenworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolpro

MIS
Apr 5, 2004
US
Hello all I was wondering if someone could send me in the right direction. We are running Novell Open Enterprise Server 6.5 about 10 of them at the moment and my boss now wants to use Zenworks each piece inside of the suite. Now my question is because I am new to Zenworks where should I start in training for this are there any classes in Illinois (Chicago)that anyone know of? Also does this software have to integrate into the novell trees? Is it very difficult to install? Thanks in advance even if I could the answer to one of these questions it will be gladly appreciated.

[cricket kicking contest]

K, I'll say something here since this post went this long with no answer.

[step on soap box]
This forum is for help with Zenworks issues, not for training
[step off soap box]

with that said, go here to discover your training options

You could also go here to find a local Novell Partner that might be able to offer you custom training

[answer actual questions]
No, the software is not very difficult to install. Version 7 and below do integrate into the tree and you use ConsoleOne to administer. A very simple install process on NetWare and Windows servers. Takes some Linux knowledge to get the agent to run right on Linux, but still easy to install (well for me it was :p )

The new version Zenworks Configuration Management 10 has it's problems and I would advise you avoid it until Novell gets it fixed right. If you can't avoid 10, then at least do a pilot deployment before you give it to the masses. Make sure you can deal with the problems it will cause you, cause they are manageable if your users aren't too picky.

Just use 7 for now until 10 matures. The things 10 can do are great, and it has lots of potential. But it is also a rework from the ground up on the Zen product and it still has it's problems. 7 is proven and it works, and every customer I deploy it to loves it. I now have zero customers running 10.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back