Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Zenworks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dleggett

Technical User
Feb 28, 2007
US
Hello everyone,

We are getting ready to implement Zenworks suite here. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for this program. I have used this at my former employment and it was amazing. I especially loved making one copy of a PC and then imaging the rest to that. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

if it is a new deployment, make sure you have the new software. ZCM (or Zen 10) is out on the market and it is pretty darn cool. Don't be scared there isn't a NetWare based version out there, it does run on windows and even the linux version is very simple to administer. You just need to think ahead on how you will handle the storage of apps and policies.

ZCM expects the files to be located in the app directory structure (C:\Program Files on Windows). It's fairly a no brainer on linux since the file system is all mount points, so it is not difficult, nor different to mount a directory for the app and policy storage into the ZCM program directory structure. but for Windows, most I have worked with have tried to make a D drive and point apps there. doesn't work like that, you create a partition and mount it into the directory structure just like Linux (yes, you can do that in windows).

Keep in mind, anything you knew about inventory, toss it, Novell dropped it .. cause it sucked. They have integrated Asset inventory into ZCM and that is the new inventory. Much better, and much easier to use.

Oh, and, all of ZCM is administered through a web browser, it is no longer integrated into NDS (not a bad thing), and it just flat out rocks.

Be carefull working with marvel Yukon NIC, they have issues.

If your ZfD deployment is 6.5, support is limited as that product is near end of life

ZfD 7 is being pushed out of maintenance support and updates will soon be discontinued for the product.

Novell restructure internally how the groups worked, and it gave the Zenworks group more flexibility in how they do things, ZCM is a complete rewrite of the product and after talking to the Zen project manager a few weeks ago at a partner conference, they want to try and kill previous versions of Zen ASAP to focus the entire team on the new model they are moving to with ZCM.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Thanks Brent for the info. You have pretty much summed up everything I needed to know. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back