Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new to XP, need to do some annoyance removal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota81

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
I finally downgraded from 98 to xp, and have been working at getting rid of that "xp experience".

I hate all unnessecary animation as it does draw my focus away from the main screen (even if just for a micro-second). With tweakui I've gotten rid of most animations, like in the start menu, tool-tips, and inside windows. But I don't see anywhere to stop the taskbar from doing its animation when opening a new window or closing a window. Can somebody help with this?

Next, I don't see a way to expand the size of the quicklaunch toolbar. I've got my taskbar set to the classic style with the classic theme, so it looks most like 98 did, except i don't see any way to expand that quicklaunch toolbar, which I want to do. Any help?

Next, it's really, really annoying to me the new folder layouts. Maybe I'll get used to it, maybe not. But anywho, can I set all folders to default to the "list view"? I'm not seeing a way to do that.

One last thing, I remembered from a friend that the only way to stop msn messenger from loading during startup was to edit some .ini file. How about it?

Thanks

Hey,

For the animation im not entirely sure what you mean but if you go into the system Properties box(windows key + Break) then click Advanced - Performance Settings you can turn most of the new Fancy XP stuff off in there.

To expand the quick launch bar you need to unlock the task bar first by right clicking then unticking "lock Taskbar" button. This should allow you to make the quick launch and task bar bigger.

For the folder setup, if you open up explorer then set the current directory to view as a list (View -> List) then go into Tools - Folder Options - View - Apply to All Folders. This will set all of the folders that you view to list style.

Messenger, the only way to disable it for all profiles is to do a regedit(as far as i'm aware) but if its just for your personal profile then just double click messenger, Tools - Options... - Preferences - Untick the top two boxes, this will stop messenger running when windows starts and will close it when you click close instead of minimising it to the system tray.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Thank you for your help. What I mean with the taskbar is say I've got a couple windows open so each of them have their separate place on the taskbar. If I close the window that on the taskbar is located left-most, the other items on the taskbar will slide over to the left instead of instantly moving to where they're supposed to end up.

May I be the first to say, "huh?"

Thanks.

"If I close the window that on the taskbar is located left-most, the other items on the taskbar will slide over to the left instead of instantly moving to where they're supposed to end up."

When you say "instead of instantly moving to where they're supposed to end up" what do you mean? Where are they supposed to end up? And since they didn't move to where they were supposed to, where are they?

Thanks

In the system Properties box(windows key + Break) click Advanced - Performance Settings

In there, there is a tick box for "Slide Taskbar buttons" untick that and it should stop.

Alex

what about all dos games are they dead or is it possible to update to windows xp

April 22, 2002
Remove MSN Messenger from XP
Run the line of code below in the run dialog and MSN Messenger will uninstall! THANK GOD!

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Thanks to Eric the unemployed for this brilliant tip.

Posted by vincenzosi at April 22, 2002 01:27 PM

works great. Dave

I think the common perception that DOS games won't work in XP is a bit mislead.

While it does have the 'stability' of NT/2000, it also has more compatibily. You might have to do a bit of 'tweaking' though...

Games? Where did this come from?

Thanks for the star . Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back