Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Wireless - Need guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhearn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
CA
Hi, all.

Quick question. I am looking at setting up a wireless
connection between 2 buildings that are about 1500m apart.
There is direct line of sight. My only issue is I am told
by the powers that be that I am to use Cisco eqp only.
This is my first trip down wireless lane, and I was hoping for some input.

I am looking at 2 Cisco BR1310-g bridges/mounting kits as well as 2 AIR-ANT1949 antenna's. Am I missing anything else?
As far as power goes, I am not sure what approach to take.

Any input as to the power issue, or any other equipment I have not mentioned that would be required, would be greatly appreciated.

Rhearn,

Cisco equipment is by far the best on the market (and therefore the most expensive). Not really sure what you are trying to say about the power, that sentence isn't really readable. As for the Antenna's, the ANT1949 has a range of over 3KM, and if you have a direct line of site with the bridge, then only one antenna should be needed (just be sure to place the antenna on the home side). For the bridges, I suggest using a wireless router on one end (the home side) with the antenna. You can encrypt and secure data transmission from intrusion and sniffing with a wireless router (WPA,WEP, and MAC filtering).
Hope that helps!

-Ron

/**************
Me: When will the project be finished?
Them: What project?
Me: The one you have been working on for the last 3 years!
Them: Ohh, we can't finish it?
Me: Why?
Them: We don't know how to program...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back