Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Web Design, have a question about linking to a file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

atascoman

Technical User
Oct 10, 2003
US
Hello,

I am a novice at web design, but have been given a task to create a webpage that would link to either a database file or an excel spreadsheet.

The goal is ot create a site where customers can lookup and order parts that are listed in the DB or spreadsheet. Can anyone give me an idea where to start and what the term for the linking is called in ASP or if ASP is the right medium to use for this?

I see from your profile that you already work in VB.NET therefore I would recommend you consider forum855. However be aware that website creation, particularly for ecommerce applications, is not a trivial matter. The security implication of giving the world access to your product database needs careful consideration.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

If, as John says, you want to do a full blown ecommerce site where your company is selling a product, John is correct in saying some careful consideration need be made.

If you want to roll your own, it isn't a project recommended for the novice level.

If you want to use a shopping cart type system that you pay for and which is hosted or provided by a web hostwith their https set up, that might be doable, but it may have branding issues or it may be the way somebody else likes things and not the way you or your bosses like things.

If, on the other hand, all you want to do is put a link to an Excel spreadsheet that looks like an order form with part numbers etc which can downloaded, filled in, and then emailed or faxed back, that is just an HTML link.

Thanks All, I will research those items thoroughly. I agree that any ecommerce business needs to be ultra secure and that perhaps a person of my experience level is not the best choice for doing the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back