Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to VPN's

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioX

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
US
I am new to VPN's and never set one up before. I have to now learn how to do this. I need to setup a VPN with WIn2k pro and win98. I have some clients in the DC metro area that want to connect to my file server here. Is there a site I can go to to get a crach course in VPN so that I can learn to set this one up or can anyone give me some intructions

Thanks for all your help in advance
Ron

Microsoft just had this very subject as the headliner ad on their Technet site. Go there and do a search on "VPN, Windows 2K, etc" The site is: Good white paper on the subject.

Just remember:
EVERY VPN relies on an EXISTING Internet connection...(helpful when you start hearing all of the protocols available)
Another point: Increased security generally means decreased performance.
Remember to consider how you would like to access the Internet once a VPN is established.(ie. Use the local connection which the VPN runs on, or use the connection of the remote host.) (Good question to ask along the discussions you will have.)

Hope this helps,
SoloXIV

PS: I LOVE VPNs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back