Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to VLAN Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

aco636

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2003
GB
Hi there
I Know what I want but not sure how to get it!

I need to replace some switches that were supplied and configured by a 3rd party.

We have some exisiting VLANs and I need to add a couple to spread between sites.

Site A has an existing HP4903 with various modules all currently using the default VLAN

I need to add a switch to the same site and one to a remote site (2900s). I am not sure what to do so that all ports say 1-10 are in one VLAN say 11-20 in another and 21-24 in VLAN 3.

I can see how this is done but I have a question.
Does each switch require its own IP address in the default VLAN?
Does each VLAN require its own IP address?
Is all I need to do add a port to the VLAN for it to get all traffic in the VLAN. I.E. work stations that are not VLAN aware?
Will the switches need any other info to make sure all switches forward packets to the correct switch/port?

Any help greatfully received.
regards ACO

I too am looking for some help with Vlans.
I've got a branch office that is connected via MPLS VPN so there is a router on my HQ and a Router in the BO which creates a subnet for that office. My Core Router is simply directing all traffic for that BO subnet to the VPN router.

I will be switching to a direct fiber link between the two offices which will be pure ethernet so i need to setup 2 vlans for that office, one for data and one for the VOIP phones, and i'd like to have my HQ on a seperate Vlan so I would have 3 VLANS.

How does this work? Do i have one DHCP server in my HQ provide the IPs for all 3 vlans?

is there an VLANS for dummies out there somewhere? It seems there are a few of us who could use one :)

Thanks,
Andy

Hey

I think, you have on site A an 5304, or something like this, but there is no 4903 on Procurve.

To work with VLANS, Read the f... Manual. Okay i will give a quick view on it:

(Okay, how to explain) VLAN means take a virtual-saw, divide the switch into virtual-pieces for every VLAN one. And now you can built a new virtual-switch with those virtual-pieces belonging to one VLAN. These new virtual-Switches acts like a normal switch.

But you have to think about how to carry the VLAN-Traffic from real-Switch to the next. (tagged and untagged configuration of the Ports). You need also any kind of routing for inter-VLAN-communcation. nearly all managed Procurve can act as static router.

If you do not really know what VLAN means, it will be better to do a course. ;-)

Thanks for your comments, I understood this site was about being helpful but your comments are pretty useless. I think me and the other person (beholder95) above both understand what VLANs are but dont know how to implement them.

If your description is the best analogy you can think of I suggest you might also benefit from returning to school!
Regards ACO :-|

Hey guys. This is something I found for you doing a quick Google search for V-LANs. Please excuse knapp666's comments as he is new here and apparently doesn't know site policies. Those sorts of remarks are not tolerated on these forums. I think you will find most here helpful and very knowledgeable.

If you need more try the Google thing like I did. I pulled up a lot of info on them that should be helpful to you.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Really, the HP manuals give very good explanations of VLANs and their configuration. Far better than I can explain. Take your time and make sure you understand the diagrams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back