Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to VB.....Please Help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeshan1784

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2002
US
Hello all,

I don't have any training with any of this so please bare with me... I was wondering if it was possible to use a input box to ask for user name and then to use the response from the user as a variable which can then be used to copy file from a server to their computer.

Each user has a file that delivers updates to their pc depending who they are. They have files they need to copy to their pc to deliver specific updates depending on who the user is. All the files are in the format "username_sync.exe"

Example.

I want to copy a file called \\server\monthend\silli_sync.exe to c:\bin.
The userid of the person logged in is silli. I have a input box setup and working, I have set the response from user as a variable which I have tested with a message box. I have been trying to use this variable called "userid" next to "_sync.exe" with the copyfile command. It doesn't work. I'm sure this is obvious to all the pros reading this but as I said I'm very new to all of this and am probably not explaining this right either. Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks,
Mike Shanley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back