Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Solaris - need a few basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjschroed

MIS
Jun 19, 2001
US
I am fairly new to Solaris. I support an app that runs on it. I have two basic questions.

First, in HP UNIX there is a command "top" that will show you what is processing and what kind of system resources it is utilizing. Is there something similar in Solaris? I have jobs that are taking a long time to process and I would like to know how much of the system resources they are actually using.

Secondly, how do I tell how much memory my server has?

Thanks!
Melissa

Hi Melissa,

welcome to Solaris! has some downloadable top packages for use with Solaris. Issuing a prtconf | pg command will tell you how much memory your server has (see the second line of output).

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks Ken for your help! So far so good!

On another note - can you recommend a good book to help me learn? I have some experience with HPUX but not solaris.

Thanks!
Melissa

Melissa, personally I don't have a paper manual - I get most of the info. I need from sites like these, and this one in particular. Useful, if a little dry, is the official Sun site at Perhaps another contributor knows of a 'hard copy' book they could recommend?

I second the welcome to Solaris!

A few more Solaris commands that may be helpful are:
prtdiag - usually in /usr/platform/`uname -i`/sbin. Use this with the -v option to get some quick and valuable info about the system

pkginfo - lists all of the installed software packages

showrev -p - lists all patches and revisions. (get used to patching in solaris!)

Thanks for the help! I will check into those docs!

Thanks!
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back