Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new to solaris, beginners dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonsky

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
US
gurus of Solaris,
we just acquired a new sun server, and sad to say im not a solaris expert though but i know AIX.So, im kinda confused a bit now,
1) how can i extend file system with solaris 8? also, we are using volume manager.
2) how would i know wether the file system is at system disk or belongs to our external storage ( T3s)// what is the command and how to look at it?
3) Any good site where i can learn administration for Solaris easily and download useful books?
4) And also, i need some experts from Solstice backup anyone?

thanks!

If u hav a working volume manager on ur solaris m/c, then u can extend volumes, but not the file system (that is, individual slice in the volumes)..
Visit and download the solaris (all versions documentation is available there) instln and administration manual from there..

Regds,

- Hemant
Networking and Systems Integration Group
Satyam Computer Services Ltd

Fore looking at file systems to see which disk they're on, you can use the df -k command and look at the /dev/dsk values. Using the format command shows you all available disks and you can match the /dev/dsk values for those to those of the file systems e.g.
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 1638259 1492627 96485 63% /

# format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
0. c0t0d0 <SUN18G cyl 7506 alt 2 hd 19 sec 248>
/pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/scsi@2/sd@0,0

This shows you that the / partition is on the main system disk.
I hope that helps you with your question.
In answer to your Solstice Backup problems I would advise you to go to: and download the manual. I did that and it's actually not that difficult once you get going.

oki thanks a lot to you guys..
ill try to download some of the documentations...

The built in tools in AIX do not exist for the most part in Solaris, they are add-ons.(you will miss the ability to extend vg's in real-time very quickly. I would also suggest getting on the sunmanagers mailing list also, lots of knowledgeable people there as well as here.

I would get rid of the Sun box, I too used to be an AIX guy and these Sun boxes take you back to the old days. You can only have 7 partitions (file systems) on disk, you can't extend a filesystem on the same disk. There is no English List Device, adapter type command that I or Sun support can find.

The AIX LVM is so much more powerfull and no matter what u say smitty, is a life saver for new admin's on AIX.

Ed Skolnik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back