Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to server 2003 - Network query.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulRider

Technical User
Jun 17, 2005
NL
I have set up my server with W2K3 server and have linked this via a switch to my home pc which is running XP. The network is up and running as i can see the shared folders on the server (after entering username and password) when looking under view computers on the network. The trouble is my home pc does not have a password, so i cannot access it from the server.

What i want to do is scrap all this and start from scratch creating 2 domains on my server. One domain will be for when i am networked at home, so my home pc can have contact with teh net via the server, the other domain will be for hosting lan parties, where we won't have internet access and i will restrict users on that domain.

On windows Xp when i add a network connection i can turn on ICS and allow other machines to connect through my pc and have no problems creating this king of network, however when i take the same options to set it up on W2K3 there is no option to allow ICS, even the the help stuff tells you to do it, it's just not there under the advanced tab where it should be.

Can anyone either help or point me in the right direction of some reading materials to help me overcome these problems.

Andy

SoulRider,

First, you can not have a domain controller provide services for more than one domain. What you can do for your LAN parties is to have users authenticate against the domain controller, and place those user objects (or computer objects) in a restricted group in Active Directory.

Allowing internet access through your domain controller in the same way that you have done it using ICS is possible, but the steps would vary based on your network configuration.

ICS effectively provides DHCP and NAT service to the network attached to one interface on the computer and bridges that network to the other interface. If your domain controller is set up the same way, with two interfaces, then you would just need to configure DHCP options for one of those networks.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back