Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to SAN - looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddyo

Programmer
Jun 27, 2002
IE
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the following:

I have over 500GB at present which I want to store. This volume will be increasing.

The store should be available to all users - about 30.

I also want an automated backup solution to backup this store and the workstations on my network.

The store will contain many graphic images and audio/visual files.

Should I go for a server which has a large internal disk capacity with an external tape solution or should I go with a server, an external storage device and an external tape solution.

Im sorry if I have a bit confusing but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

I also am new to SAN. We just put up our first one here. It was kind of pricey, but this is what we got- 28 slots that will each hold up to 72 Gb hot swap drives with the possibility of adding 14 more. These can be raided into any configuration we want. We currently have 2 servers sharing this storage, with plans for about 5 more eventually, and several others sharing the backup.

We have a library thar has 2 drives, abd 100 Gb capacity on each tape. Library holds 25 tapes.

If you want to use only one server, I think I'd go with one of the bigger servers, such as an ML 370, and pack it with drives. I believe you can put 12 72 Gb drives in one, which in RAID 5 configuration would give you aroung 7200 Gb if you hot spare it. I think Compaq/HP makes a server with greater capacity. Then add a library for backups. With 500 Gb to back up, a library makes sense, unless you want to have someone around to change tapes.

Using a SAN will require somr fibre adapters, switches, and other equipment. Probably the total cost will be in the neighborhood of 100 K, whereas a single server and library can be set up for about 1/2 that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back