Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to SAN idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.

akalinowski

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2006
US
i have a domain controller that also functions as a File Server, the file server has about 100MB left on it and by this time next week we'll be full... i've gone through and found about 1GB worth of data i can delete and/or archive, but in a few month's we'll be in the same boat. my idea is getting a 4TB SAN that does RAID 10 (so 2TB available) and make that my File Server. my question is.. how does it work with permissions, we are on AD 2k3 and use veritas backup exec to backup the data currently. and we have an LTO tape backup system in place now.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

akalinowski
MCSE 2000, A+, N+, LCP, CNE

If you're looking at a NAS appliance, most of them integrate with AD (Join AD as a member server). If you're looking at SAN, then you present a new LUN to your existing file server and then share it out just as you would any other LUN.

SAN provides access to LUNs through block level protcols like SCSI, FCP(which encapsulates SCSI), or iSCSI(which encapsulates SCSI). NAS provides access to files via a file level protocol like CIFS or NFS. Your current windows file server is a NAS server.

Some fairly low cost possibilities that link with AD might be:

Linksys NSS4000
Netgear ReadyNAS 1100
or
Thecus 1U4500

Any of these will take 4 x 1TB disks and provide the RAID level that you need. With AD integration permissions will work as with any Windows server.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

i think i'm looking for something more like the NAS, simple and easy to install, but flexible, speed isnt a high priority since we only have about 80 users that will be accessing it.

thanks guys, i'm getting quotes for the netgear one now.

akalinowski
MCSE 2000, A+, N+, LCP, CNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back