Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hercules23

Technical User
Jun 6, 2003
US
Hi,

How important is it to update my router software ?

I am using C2600 12.2(15)zj3 Early development release.

Should i upgrade to 12.3 jus to keep my software up to date ?

(okay, this sounds like a really stupid question even to me........but i have never worked with routers before and i am not sure if the installation works like normal applications that require patches and updates)

Thanks

Shelly

Well with cisco, their IOS is quite buggy. So if you have a stable load, that isn't susceptible to DoS attacks then you're good..

You simply copy the new IOS to the router and reboot. If you have room on your flash memory, you can have multiple images and pick one to boot via configuration.

If the new version doesn't have features or a security fix that you need, then there's not much reason to update.

Hmmm,

I don't like early deployment releases... The latest General Deployment release is usually the least buggy. For the 2600, 12.2.24a is the latest GD. I keep all my routers at one level, usually a GD load. When vulnerabilities crop up (and they always do) You need to install the "patched" version of the IOS. They usually always patch the GD loads.

Just make sure you have the feature set you need when choosing the IOS.

Pretty easy to upgrade... download software, put it on a TFTP server, "copy tftp flash" , reload , done...

Regards,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back