Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Python

Status
Not open for further replies.

jivetrky

MIS
Jun 16, 2006
US
I'm trying to install pygtk 2.10.4 on my Linux box (ubuntu). When I run the ./configure, I get the following error:

configure: error: could not find Python headers

What package do I need to add to get pygtk to install?

Usually when you run into a headers issue it means you installed from a package. Not sure which package manager Ubuntu uses, but you should be able to find a python-devel (or something like that) package that will have the header files in it. They aren't included in the standard package because they are only necessary when you try to compile an app that requires them, thus reducing the amount of diskspace and download size of base packages and allowing you to cherry pick which devel/header packages you need.

-T

First of all, you shouldn't be having to compile pygtk. You can just use "sudo apt-get install python-gtk2". In Ubuntu Feisty, at least, this will get you pygtk 2.10.4. If you really want to compile it, though, or you want that version and you're on too old a version of Ubuntu, fix the error with "sudo apt-get install python-dev".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back