Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to PIX and need direction for setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

lberdick

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I'm about to puchase two 515E units to build our firewall infrastructure - and include a DMZ for our web server, dns, etc. I was wondering if anyone knew of a link, book, or white paper that could fill in some of the questions I have? I understand how the structure works but I'm little cloudy on how the one PIX concentrator deals with the other internal PIX concetrator. Also, we have a cisco 3005 vpn concentrator and I'm not sure how that is going to fit into the puzzle? Any help would be appreciated

HI.

I recommend that you initialy build your own lab to prepare yourself, not only read documentations.

For the planning phase - I recommend that you ask someone to assist you because you might find out that additional software/hardware or both will be needed for specific tasks - for example proxy/contecnt filter/syslog server/log analyser/AAA or other like the VPN concentrator that you already plan to use.

Placement of the VPN server is an important issue that should be planned.

Planning for ip addressing, routing, NAT and DNS are also very important.

What pix version are you going to buy - the R or UR ?
You might find it useful (but more expensive) to purchase 4 interfaces or more, and use a dedicated interface for specific tasks like VPN server or other.

So my advice - get some more help in the planning phase (not only pre-sale), it will probably be cost effective versus doing it by yourself.
Learn about the pix capabilities and limitations, and plan for additional supporting software and hardware.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Thanks - I appreciate it - I had plan on setting up a practice lab as you describe and I have CCNP friend of mine to help out in certain things.
So do you think I should step up and puchase a higher grade PIX with more interfaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back