Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to OLAP & Pivot Tables(Excel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfschaefer

Programmer
Apr 27, 2004
US
I currently have a 1/2 doz spreadsheets - containing 1 to multiple pivot tables included.

The Problem is that their current datasource is an ODBC link to MS Access Database. I was wonder if I was to change the datasource to OLAP CUBE, what problems could I expect. I do not want to modify the pivot table's layout - they can be very complex.

I am new to OLAP and I am confused to they replace and act as a query woul for an ODBC connected datasource.

Or should I do a data dump into an Excel wksht and would that affect my current pivot table layout?

Thanks,

Karen

Think of the OLAP cube as a type of database. THe main difference is that rather than tables and columns you Have Dimensions and Facts, and hierarchies within the dimensions.

I doubt it would be as simple as changing your datasource to be an OLAP cube. THe main reason for this is that the MDX query language is used to query the cubes and is generated when you slice and dice in pivot tables.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back