Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Nortel products and need help with configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdhende

Technical User
Dec 3, 2010
US
Hi, I am brand new to the Nortel products, having some major configuration issues, and would really!! appreciate some help. This is just a testing scenerio, I have a BCM-450 and BCM-50. I have some IP phones on each and would like to be able to make calls back and forth from all of the phones. I am using a T1 connection and the documentation is just getting me confused. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

OK, here are a couple of things to check/do. The BCM uses target lines to monitor for incoming digits like DID or DNIS info from either another switch or from the CO. One target line per DID/DNIS value you want the BCM to look for. You need to know the number of digits that will be coming in as well. If you are doing switch to swtich calling, you need to setup your private networking to look for 4 digits.

The target line has fields called public received and private recieved. These are where you enter the digits you want it to look for. There is also a field called assigned DN where you assign the target line to a phone. You may also have to add your line pool the T1 is in to a remote access package, 01 is usually what I ahve used.

This is a very high level explanation of how this works. The BCM is good that it's a lot of features in one box, but that also can make it a pain to configure and remember where everything is.

make sure the clocking on the T1 is set to primary external, or your lines will be dropping. Also a DTI cannot be in expansion unit on a 450. Use BCM Monitor, to monitor Lines, to check the digits you are dialling out. When dialling out, configure a root to use the appropriate bloc (e.g. blocb, this is set on the physical lines) PLUS a destination code to use the route. For example, route 001, bloc b PLUS destination code 9, absorb 1, use route 001. In this example, when dialling a 9 for an outside number is it absorbed.

Again very high level, however hope this helps.

Ok , here’s more info

I have a DTM-T1 with the following set-up

Resources/Telephony Resources/Trunk Module Parameters
Clock Source: Primary External
T1 Parameters
CO Fail: TIA-547A
Interface Levels: PSTN
Framing: ESF
Line Coding: B8ZS
Internal CSU
CSU Line Build:0db
Telephony/Lines/Active Physical Lines