Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Networking,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have win2kadv as server, want to network other computers to it, probably win98, and laptop with win98. I have never networked computers before. Seen in this forum, in past(last year) when someone ask, they where given the basics of what needed to be done, to set up network. Can anyone help me please, just to get started, I will be using a switch 10/100. pc's have nic cards.

Thank You if you can help.

Hello

U have to create the users in windows server and then do the following configuration at windows 98 machines. Go to windows 98 network properties.
Add client for microsoft networks.
click on the properties of client for microsoft networks.
check logon to windows nt domain.
in windows nt domain name, give the name which u given at us w2k server (the domain name will be pre windows 2000 server name)
now save the changes and restart ur machine. On the startup it will be ask for user name. give the valid user name which u created in w2k server and password of the user name. This way u will be able to login to w2k server and acces the server as per rights given to the user.

Hi,

Everything that parvinder69 said was spot on, but can I just add that you would be much better off with Win2k Pro on your workstations/laptops than Win98. Theres no problem using Win98, BUT theres quite a few features that won't work on 98. If you can get hold of a copy then go for it. Win98 itsn't a network OS. Its a standalone with network abilities. Win2K (or even WinNT4.0) is designed for networks.

The basics of networking will be fine with your setup, but if you start to play with Group Policies and other Active Directory functions then expect some problem.

Have fun and post back if there are any other questions! ;-) Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified Professional (75 - 215)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back