Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new to network building and doing so for children's center

Status
Not open for further replies.

yari130

Technical User
Jan 13, 2004
CA
Good day. I am relatively new to building a network from scratch (I did move and add computers) and would like to know where the best place to start is (after reading the intros to what is a network and which type to chose, ie. ptp or c/s). I like learning on my own, trying it out and reading the iformation. This is sort of a hobby. I am also doing it to help out this organiztion that helps disabled children. The pay 60 an hour for a twenty minute job and i was able to do some of it within the same time and little effort. I volunteer my time there and this is something that I really would like to do.

They are getting bigger. 30 children and about twenty staff using computers. Their network is very slow and viral.

Looking through the intros and what we have at school (I am an electrical technologist), I would give each staff member a username and password, the individual pc's would run on win 98se (that is what was donated and at school, they do the task well enough)and the hard disk gets flushed at log off. In other words, they could only save to their folders on the server. (Is this possible with winXP? I made a receipt program using MS Access XP and only their XP computers can run it). I am assuming that this a c/s type network. Hardware is not a problem for me, I know how to put them together. If possible to build our own server rather than spend a fortune on Dell or HP. And a little further, Linux information. (Something I am looking into because of cost). For more info on the center: yaldei.org

(ps. if this is possible with XP, can we somehow get a cheaper license for all the computers? 150 a computer is way too much and would rather wait a couple of years for donated computers)

Thank you,

Yari

At some point even the most noble of charities has to spend some money.

You need a local, experienced, Network Analyst to answer your many questions.

You can be penny wise and pound foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back