Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to InDesign, should i....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekture

Technical User
May 13, 2006
US
Is it more practical to design the entire page (all advertisement logo) with photoshop. Or insert all the assets into InDesign and layout there? Pros and Cons of each?

Well, it depends....

The first concern is what file format the receiver of the ad wants to receive it. If you don't know, or if the magazine (or whoever you are sending the ad to) doesn't provide specifications, then usually the safest is to send a PDF in X-1a format.

The other factor is text. If there is any small text which must be legible when printed, you are going to have to save the photoshop file as an EPS so as to preserve the vector attributes of the text. This in turn can involve problems with fonts, if the receiver doesn't have them (I don't think you can convert fonts to outlines in Photoshop).

With that all said, I wouldn't even contemplate sending the ad as a PSD or an EPS - too many potential problems. I would definitely lay out the ad in InDesign. If there's not too much text, convert to outlines and then export as a PDF/1Xa. There should be no problems with this, regardless of the technology used for printing. Don't forget to check if the receiver needs printers marks, as they are not part of the default when exporting as PDF/1Xa.

i deffinately agree, doing the layout in indesign, so much easier to do and less hassles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back