Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to IIS, setting up an intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodi

Programmer
May 23, 2003
IN
Hi guys,

I am new to IIS. My organization has a Windows 2000 Server (SP2) as primary domain controller. The clients on my network are member servers (Windows 2000 Servers), as well as boxes having Win9x and Windows XP.

I want to set a test environment for an intranet application as this application would later be deployed on our client's site.

What are the requisites for setting up an intranet in such a scenario? The application has already been developed as an EXE file. How can I execute that application?

Thanks in Advance

Vinodi

~~The only place where SUCCESS comes before WORK is in the dictionary~~

Vinodi

I run a web and FTP server off a win 2k pro machine and found it relatively straight forward to set-up.

First things first though - enable IIS through the windows components in control panel. Ensure the firewall allows access and then start publishing to the virtual directory - or in your case (directories).

I'd love to have some fun on a server box. Sold enough of them but never get time to play on them.

-----------------
Cogito Ergo Sum
-----------------

Harlequin

I want to know what settings need to be made on the client boxes, as I already have a virtual directory containing an application on the server.

Regards,
Vinodi

~~The only place where SUCCESS comes before WORK is in the dictionary~~

Sorry Vinodi but I have never encountered the scenario you mention.

There's lots of pros on this forum though. I doubt it will take long to resolve. My experience of IIS is purely in a web and FTP context - launching custom apps is probably not that difficult though.

As above, I would ensure IIS is installed and configured correctly prior to starting this project.Make sure the compaonents are installed, go to the Computer Manager and set the web settings how you want them, you may want to check that running execytables is checked for your particular site and then redirect all the traffic through the firewall to the box where the web will be served.

-----------------
Cogito Ergo Sum
-----------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back