Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to IIS - Need to setup an FTP site

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbobst

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2003
US
I have been managing Windows 2000 servers for my company for the last couple of years, but I have not worked with any sort of FTP, Web hosting, Web development, IIS server, etc. I would like to setup an FTP server so that a few clients and some of our staff members could go to one site site to download common applications and files that we use.

I have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition server that I have made an application server (IIS 6.0), and that I also installed the FTP component on. However, IIS is all brand new to me. I have tried doing some rough Internet searches for basic information on IIS but I have not really come up with anything yet. Could anyone direct me to a good resource that would give me a basic understanding of how to configure IIS and make it work? Again, I am specifically after an FTP server, but I would also like to understand how IIS delivers Web pages, etc.

I already have a good firewall appliance, corporate anti-virus, and static IP's through my T1 line. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

In the past IIS has been difficult to configure for secure access. I would recoment installing serv-u from deer field. It's very simple to use, and has many more features then IIS FTP.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

Jeff, Guys

I don't know what your thoughts are but my copany and also myself went down the third party root and use War-FTP. It's free, fully configurable and secure.

the log files get a little on the large size but it's secure and allows user directories and logins.

Only problem I ever had was allowing anonymous logins - but hey - who'd want to do that anyway...?

-----------------
Cogito Ergo Sum
-----------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back