Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new to exchange 2010 and settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

terraverre

Technical User
Jun 13, 2011
Hi all

I am new to Exchange 2010.
I worked before on Exchange 2003.

We moved to another server, from SBS 2003/Exchange 2003 to SBS 2011/Exchange 2010.

I am not very familiar with Exchange 2010, i have followed few configuration guides, and setup the send connector.

What i want to ask, is how to configure the downloading of emails, from Hostgator where we have our domain.

I saw somewhere that i need additional pop3 connector (3rd party) but i can not imagine that Exchange 2003 has the pop3 connector already with the exchange, and Exchange 2010 needs external connector.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Not sure about SBS 2011. The POP3 connector in SBS 2003 was an SBS specific feature. It's not native to stand-alone Exchange.

Is there a reason you're forced to use POP3? POP3 is very old, and VERY inefficient. Having direct delivery would make more sense.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com swag? I've got mine! Pick some up at
Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

nope i dont have to use pop3.

Here is the situation.

We moved 1 of the companies to a different location, and we got SBS 2011 as DC and 2008 R2 as terminal.

On the DC, we also put exchange for the employees.

So, under the same domain, we have also few users in the old location as well. So from the SBS 2011/Exchange 2010, we need to download only few of the mailboxes hosted on hostgator, the rest should be delivered on the other location, exchange 2003.

What are you suggestions, what can i do this?

I am not familiar with direct delivery unfortunately.

Meh- I wouldn't do that. I'd have all mail for that domain go to the Exchange box, and use Outlook Anywhere for the users in the other location. That's way it's designed to work.

ok, so all the email for the specific domain will go to the exchange 2010, and the exchange 2003 will take using pop3 from the exchange 2010 server?

Thats what would be your suggestion?

what if i use external pop3 connector for exchange 2010?

No. Get rid of POP3. Everywhere. Direct delivery of mail directly to the servers is how things should work.

Outlook Anywhere for the users in other location(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back