Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Exchange 2000 need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragol1

Programmer
Oct 25, 2001
US
Ok hers is what I have got
A windows 2000 web server up and running with DNS running and all is good

I have just set up a secondary windows 2000 server with active directory and exchange 2000.

I get the master DNS transfered from the primary server

now comes my question.
I have set up exchange and kinda got it to work
I set up a new user and it asked me if I want to add them to a mailbox which I did but when i go to look at them i exchange they dont show up yet when I move the mailbox to another one I set up it suddenly shows up.
That was my first problem
Next what MX record should I set up and should it be on the master server
I think i should set up host like mydomain.com with the ip address of the site then a MX record pointing to that site.

Now is this right or do I need to set up a MX record and point it directly to the secondary server..

I have kinda got this to work using ip addresses I can send mail and recievemail but when somebody trys to reply they get a msg saying that the server is not configured to relay mail to this address...

I hope this isnt too much to ask

I just need help.
Thanks

As for the mailboxes, when you first create them send a email test message to it and they should show up in the System Manager, otherwise your Recipient Update service time needs to be adjusted.

As for your DNS entries you should only have one MX entry to the Exchange server as you have only indicated that you have one Exchange server!?
If you have more than one you can create a secondary MX record pointing to the IP of secondary server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back