Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to DW, Indexing Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtpgringa

Programmer
May 14, 2002
US
Hi...I just got a new job (started Monday) at a large facility which uses multiple servers & has IIS. My experience in web design has been from home for small clients--through FrontPage. I'm learning DW now, and like it so far...

I've been asked to "set up the Indexing Service and create whatever catalogs needed" for our new web site. The site connects to more than one database. I've never done this before, and have not been able to find an easy-to- understand, step-by-step procedure for doing this. Heck, I don't even know what catalogs to create! I do know that the Indexing Service is installed and is working; and I can see the catalogs that were created for our former site. Unfortunately, the person who set those up is no longer here. Does anyone know how to do this?

"the Indexing Service is installed and is working"
this concept can be applied to Windows Indexing Service...whcich in a nutshell proveds better/faster seraching through the windows files (nothing to do with the Database)
"Indexing" can be applied in the database to the field with the same intentions.
You can "index" you footware so u can faster find your tennis shoes vs. leather shoes.. :)
You can "index" your word document so u kno where the chapters begin etc....u get the point.
So the real question is: What in the hell do they want you to do? :) re-organize the exsiting pages?create a database that will hold the catalong info...?
If you are talking about creating some small Database and how the structure works ( of categories and sub categories) I would suggest you look at this site to gain some Search/Structure idea of a DataBase Driven Site.
All the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back