Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new to databases - where to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernbloke

Programmer
Aug 9, 2000
GB
Hi,

I play arround with lots of things (?). I am now faced with creating a utility for our intranet...

Armed with only Perl / CGI I am required to build a database for PC hardware/software issues.

in brief.

when a PC problem arises I need to add it, and the solution, to the database.
I am also supposed to make it searchable ??
(Erm, and user friendly)

So far with Perl I have only scratched at its surface. Are there any good example sites / references guides etc for this type of thing.

Please help to dig me out of this hole I have landed in !!

cheers.

Hi

Two free tools to build MySQL databases or perform administration on MySQL datebases are:

phpMyAdmin - Written in PHP
MySQLMan - Written in Perl

These two tools use a internet/intranet brower interface for the client. They both will run under Window, Unix or Linux. They can be downloaded freely from the internet. I recomment either of these tools highly. You must have perl or PHP install on the server depending on which tool you select. You also need a web server like apache or Micrsoft Information services to run the php or perl scripts.

Leland123

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back