Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to CLARiiON FC4500 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luis37

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2005
US
Hello
I inherit a EMC FC4500, and I can't get acces to fcli. I tried {}{},and also @$@$ but still does not work.
I don't see the unit from navisphere either.
Can someone please help.

Thanks

Make sure you have no errors on the storage processors (green lights only).
You need a null modem cable to connect.
Settings are 19200 8 1 and No Parity in Hyperterm
It's possible that the baud may have to be 9600 ..so if 19.2 doesn't work try 9600.

I don't see any green ligths. only the amber lights with an X on top of a battery are on. What do they mean.

Thanks

Those are the SPS units (Standby Power Supply) which is really just a battery back up. Batteries should charge to a green light status withing 6 hours. It is indicating that the batteries are not able to hold a charge. That alone will not keep the storage array from powering up (as long as the switches are on). Above the sps are two storage processors. For a 4500 you should see an rj45 Lan connector on the right hand side of each sp. There will also be a db9 connector with the image of a monitor.. that is the serial management port. There are leds on the two storage processors that turn green once the code needed to run the Clariions is loaded. The leds should be located very near the center of the board close to the gray switches used to set the node address for the sp.
-- If you are seeing no lights there... remove the fan pack and make sure that the power supplies are inserted, plugged in and turned on.

The lights on the storage processors are green.
When I power up the FC4500, and tried to connect through the hyperterminal, using the null modem cable the hyperterminal just hangs there and I can't get to the fcli> prompt. I also tried changing the settings to 19200 and 9600 both with 8 1 and No Parity in Hyperterm.

Thanks

Leave the serial cable connected and power cycle the Clariion. It should go thru a series of test ending with a message that says it is entering serial application mode. If you are not seeing anything...either the cable or the setup is wrong.

I powered cycle the Clariion but I still did not see anything, I am going to make sure the setup is correct.

Thanks

I noticed something on the DPE, The lights on the top wright corner there are both on all the time, the amber and a green lights.

Thanks

The lights on the front top right will be on if you have any faults in the system. In your case, those lights are probably due to the SPS faults you told me about. If you see any other amber lights let me know.

Those are the only amber lights lit on the Clariion.
Thanks

Thank you so much maultier, I finally got it to work.
There was a problem with the null modem cable.

Thanks, you were very helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back