Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to CAD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

03Explorer

Technical User
Sep 13, 2005
US
I have an idea on a woodworking project that utilizes normal lumber (2x4, 4x4, etc.) I have limited use or exposure for CAD programs. What is a good cost effective program to use (cheap or free would be nice)? I was considering using Visio, but it seems limited and I would have to create the stencils for the lumber.

I found Blish and installed it last night. It seems too sophisticated for what I want... I want simple and easy to generate a project.

I found Sketchup Last night... Have you used it? Is it simple enough for a beginner? Example I would like to have a 12 foot 2x4 tied to a 8 foot 4x4 board. Would I have to generate the lumber along with bind them? or is there a 'stencil' for lumber that I just put in the length and orientate it?

Thanks, I will give 'OhYeahCAD' a try as well. I guess if I can make everything from scratch it is okay. But it seems that there shold be something like Visio where you grab an item and drag it into a drawing and it could be 3d. Hmmm maybe we are on to a new type of application.

Thanks Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back