Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new to c#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crox

Programmer
Apr 3, 2000
NL
Hi,

I am new to c#.

Are there some tools to convert from gwbasic to c#?

Are there some tools to convert from cobol to c#?

Is there a utility that comments c# source that helps new people?

Thanks!

> Are there some tools to convert from gwbasic to c#?
> Are there some tools to convert from cobol to c#?
> Is there a utility that comments c# source that helps new people?
To answer your question first, I personally don't know of anything that can convert program code to C#. Even if you DID find something to do that, it would not help you if you did not understand C# well enough to interpret that code.

I suggest you start by trying out small C# programs, perhaps from a starter book, and develop them from there. The more you learn, the more you will be able to accomplish, and the more you accomplish, the more you will GLOW.

Start out with a "guess my number" game. Have the computer pick a random number, and see how many tries it will take for you to guess it.
There are tons of examples of code on the web, too.
If you have SPECIFIC questions, come on back.
Cheers!

The problem is that GWBasic and Cobol are very different languages to the C family of languages (C#, Java, etc). You basically need to look at the code, work out where the subroutines are, and whether any special features of the language are being used.

For instance, in cobol, you could code
Code:
PERFORM 0050INNER-START THRU 0080INNER-END
PERFORM 0030OUTER-START THRU 0090OUTER-END

0030OUTER-START..
0050INNER-START
0080INNER-END
0090OUTER-END
In C#, this would have to be split into 2 routines, one calling the other. Also, everything in working storage is a global variable. You need to take the program apart and re-assemble it when doing a gwbasic/cobol conversion to C#. You need to watch out for the tricks used in the language like COBOL's move corresponding. No other language has that feature.

if you ever saw the commenting assembler that was sold by V-communications, you would understand what I mean. The comment was really impressive smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back