Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to ASP.NET - subfolder in website with same name as website

Status
Not open for further replies.

techkate

Programmer
Feb 23, 2004
US
I'm new to .NET (I come from a VB6 / SQL background). I'm now working in a position where I am the go-to for VB.NET and ASP.NET app/website maintenance. All previous developers in the group left the company, with little documentation left behind also.

Picking up on the .NET language itself hasn't been too much of a challenge, I've been able to program any fixes necessary in the VB.NET apps, and pretty quickly too.

I'm really struggling, however, with the 'environment' aspects of the ASP.NET sites (apps?) this place has. I will need to do a lot of research when it comes to configuring/building/deploying, etc. I have a decent amount of front-end ASP development, but nothing administrative when it comes to ASP and IIS.

There is an ASP.NET site that I've fixed code-wise. However, before I move forward, [highlight]I'd really like to know why there is a subfolder in the web site with the same site name and the same directories and files???[/highlight]

For example, if this website is named 'My Website' there is a subfolder in the web site structure also named 'My Website' with the same files and folders within it.

There are references to the subdirectory too so it looks as if it is required for this website to build/publish correctly, such as:

Code:
<%@ Page Language=&amp;quot;vb&amp;quot; AutoEventWireup=&amp;quot;false&amp;quot; CodeBehind=&amp;quot;MainMenu.aspx.vb&amp;quot; Inherits=&amp;quot;My Website.MainMenu&amp;quot; %>

1.) What purpose does this serve? Is this a best practice or recommended structure for a particular reason (IIS, virtual directories, etc)?
2.) Does this mean that if I make a change to the top level file 'Maintenance.aspx.vb I have to also make the same changes to the files in the subdirectory? Do I have to make every change in two different places?

[highlight]Any recommended reading on ASP.NET web site maintenance/administration and/or IIS? :) [/highlight]

[small]"There was this sound, like a garbage truck dropped off the Empire State Building.[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back