Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Tape Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjon

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
IE

I have no Solaris experience whatsoever, so could someone tell me how I rescan to pick up new Tape Drives? These are fibre tape drives on a SAN and have all been zoned in already.
And what should I be looking for after the rescan?

Thanks

Jon

You can run "devfsadm -c tape" to assign newly attached taped drives. Look in /dev/rmt to see what you have available.

Ray

Even a bad day at the races is better than a good day at the office.

Thanks. I've run the devvfsadm command, and the /dev/rmt has lots of files in it now. Files start with 0,1,2 or 3 - I assume these reference each of the 4 drives - doesn't make much sense to me to be honest.

Jon

If it made sense we would all be out of a job!

Ray

Even a bad day at the races is better than a good day at the office.

Hi Jon. The 0,1,2 and 3 probably are references to your drives. You probably have versions like 0c, 0cn, 1c, 1cn etc too? These indicate (c) the 'compress' version of the tape (ie one which allows data compression, increasing the capacity of the tape) and (n) a 'no-rewind' device so that the tape stops at the end of a save to allow for multiple saves to the same tape. So /dev/rmt/0cn is a compressed-no-rewind version of the standard 0 device. Note that the default (0, say) is for rewind, ie your tape will rewind when finished, running the risk of overwriting if you are wanting multiple saves on the one tape. There are also various tape manupulation options - man mt for details.

Any specific queries, post back here or in Forum60

Good luck.

All I ask of you
Is make my wildest dreams come true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back