Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New System wont Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evenflown

Technical User
Aug 18, 2005
US
Just put together a new system. Here's the problem:

When I turn it on there is no sound of the CPU booting, and there is no signal to the monitor.

There is a clicking sound inside of the tower, it sounds like it is coming from the CPU. It clicks repeatedly for several seconds, and then the entire computer shuts off.

Occasionally an image is sent to the monitor, it's weird. It looks almost like fire on the monitor flashing over and over again. It's hard to describe, a random assortment of colors flashing over and over again on the monitor, even after the power to the comp shuts off. I have to turn the monitor off and then on to make it go away.

Can anyone give me some advice?

I have checked all the connections, I can't really test the ram or the graphics card though. But there isn't even a beep when the computer starts. Just a clicking noise for about 30 seconds and then it shuts off.

Thanks.

could be ram, or overheating, or dodgy/weak psu...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

First, for the few seconds the computer 'clicks' does the cpu fan run. Just checking to see if you have power. Is the processor installed properly and the heatsink? Are there any jumpers that you have to change on the motherboard to recognize the bus speed of the processor or is that automatic? Disconnect everything except the video card and see if you can boot? I've had that happen before on systems, sometimes it's something I've done wrong, sometimes it's them motherboard or memory. Wish I could be more help. I know it's frustrating.

The clicking sounds like maybe the hard drive? Remove the ram and see if it beeps when it boots?

Shannan'

The Clicking sound may also be the HS-FAN trying to move... if the HS-FAN is connected wrong, installed wrong, or not functioning properly, this will lead to the CPU getting HOT, the MoBo circuits (Temp Control) takes over and shuts down the CPU (thus you have the turning on and then off) to prevent the CPU from taking damage...

Now, list the Mobo make, Ram installed, PSU type/Wattage, GFX-Card used, Drives, and PCI cards that you have installed in the system... this will help us in helping you in finding the problem...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back