Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New sub domain exchange set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliotm

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
GB
We have a new oversees office opening and the users will be requiring a new email address e.g elliotm@us.mydomain.com rather than just elliotm@mydomain.com but the emails will still be sent to our exchange server.

The ISP we use have configured the new sub domain and MX records to be identical to the setup of the existing domain.

In exchange I have updated the default receipient policy to include the new sub domain.

What else have I got to do enable emails to get through? Currently I am getting the following rejection messages.

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

elliotm@us.mydomain.com on 19/11/2003 11:03
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
<smtp-out5.hotmail.co.uk #5.7.1 smtp;501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail from <xxx@hotmail.co.uk> to <elliotm@us.mydomain.com> for 65.54.247.40
>

Any ideas what I have not done? Thanks in advance for your help.

Does the MX for your us.mydomain.com point to an IP address?

Does the name of the subdomain match the FQDN of the exchange server?

Have you run the update on your recipient update service?

Thankd for the reply.

The MX records are setup in the same way as mydomain.com

The FQDN of the exchange server is set the original domain not the sud domain.

No I have not run the update on the recipient update server! Have I got to update the internal DNS to also have the sub domain? (even though there will be domain as such just new email addresses?)

Insuring that the MX record points to an IP address and not to a CNAME is an important consideration, even if a CNAME is working for your present domain.

If the name of the subdomain matches the FQDN of the exchange server (to extend your example, your exchange server should not be named us.mydomain.com).

However, I would try running the update. In Exchange System Manager, find the Recipients container. Under it will be a folder for Recipient Update Service. In that folder, locate the W2K domain for which you've updated the default policy. You can right-click the domain and select 'Update Now' or 'Rebuild'. Start with 'Update Now'. If that doesn't work, use 'Rebuild' but be aware that it takes some time and will place a load on your server.

Depending on your internal DNS solution, there are many possibilities for setting up a zone (AD-Integrated or traditinal Primary/Secondary). If you plan on adding an AD/W2K security domain for the us.mycompany.com domain, you may want to investigate the impact of that on your DNS.

If this doesn't help, let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back